Thanks to all who made PGM ONE 2017 a success!
On June 28th and 29th, 2017, 200 people of the global majority gathered at the Brower Center in Berkeley, California for the inaugural People of the Global Majority in the Outdoors, Nature, and Environment (PGM ONE) Summit.
Programming & events included:
- guided reflections and meditations
- spoken word
- an art space where, over the course of the summit, over 100 people created small pieces of art representing their thoughts and feelings related to PGM ONE
- a panel of leaders of color in the land management, outdoor industry, environmental foundation, outdoor education, and big green sectors who discussed how they have navigated their respective career paths as people of color/global majority.
- Sessions on paradigm-shifting topics such as “De/Re-Constructing Conservation: Is Conservation Becoming the New Colonialism?” and “Indigenizing Conservation Corps.”
- Workshops directed as self-care for PGM such as “Healing for Resilient Communities,” “Set a Pace for Safe Space!” and “Brown Faces in Green Spaces.”
- Job fair hosted by Youth Outside
See a full report of the event here.
See more pictures of the event by Michael A. Estrada here.